Users have reported issues with HP Scanner when they try to scan documents on their PC. Users have complained that the HP scanner stopped operating on Windows 11 when scanning documents. Issues with scanners are most commonly caused by factors such as services not running, driver issues, issues with linked software, and so on. Facing such issues is familiar; therefore, there is nothing to worry about. There are various troubleshooting steps in this article that you may try to fix the HP scanner not working in Windows 11.
How To Fix Easily HP Scanner Not Working In Windows 11?
The steps below will help you fix HP Scanner not working in Windows 11.
Basic Troubleshooting Steps
Before proceeding with the real troubleshooting steps, you must ensure a few things. Check to see if the printer or scanner is properly switched on. Double-check that all cords connecting your scanner to your PC are correctly connected. You can also restart your scanner/printer and PC. Also, try reconnecting the cable to see if you still face the issue. If the issue is not hardware-related, you will likely face it due to software.
Run Hardware Troubleshooter
You could try running the hardware troubleshooter if you face an issue with your HP scanner. Follow the steps listed below to run the hardware troubleshooter.
- Search for CMD in the Start Menu, then right-click it and select Run as administrator.
- In the Command Prompt, type and run the command
msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic
- Now, click Advanced in the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter box.
- Check the Apply repairs automatically checkbox and then click Next to run the hardware troubleshooter.
Ensure Related Services Are Running
If you are facing an issue with the HP scanner on your PC, ensure that all necessary services are running. Follow the instructions below to do this.
- Search for Services in the Start Menu, then open it.
- Now, search for the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service in the Services app window.
- Right-click it and choose Properties.
- To start the service, change the Startup type to Automatic and click Start.
- To save the changes, click Apply and then OK.
- Apply the same procedure to the DCOM Server Process Launcher, Remote Procedure Call, RPC Endpoint Mapper, and Shell Hardware Detection services.
- Restart your PC after making the adjustments, and then check to see whether you still face the issue.
Run Scanner In Compatibility Mode
Another option is to try running the HP scanner in compatibility mode. You can accomplish this by following the steps outlined below.
- Press the Windows + R key combination. To open it, type Control Printers in the run dialog box and click OK.
- Now, right-click on the HP scanner in the Devices and Printers box and select Properties.
- In the Properties window, navigate to the Compatibility tab.
- Check the Run this program in compatibility mode for the checkbox.
- Select any older Windows version from the drop-down option, ideally Windows 7 or 8.
Update Scanner Driver
Due to an outdated scanner driver, you may face this issue. Try updating the scanner driver to see if you still face the issue. Follow the steps listed below to upgrade the scanner driver.
- By using the Windows + I key combination on your PC, you may access the Settings app.
- Head to the Windows Update area in the Settings app using the left sidebar.
- Click Optional Updates and Advanced Options on the right side of the window.
- After that, click Driver Updates.
- Now, download and install the HP scanner driver updates before restarting your PC.
The issue should be fixed by doing this. You may also manually download the HP scanner driver from the HP website and install it on your PC.
Reinstall HP Scanner
Try reinstalling the HP scanner if you still face the issue with it. The steps for reinstalling the HP scanner on your PC are shown below.
- Click Device Manager after pressing Windows + X.
- Double-click to expand the Print Queues section.
- Select your HP scanner from the list below. Right-click it, then click it again, and finally click Uninstall Device.
- Uninstall the device by clicking Uninstall.
- Restart your PC once you remove the device.
- Once you download and install the most recent HP scanner driver, try using the scanner again.
This article can assist you if you face issues with your HP scanner. We’ve gone through several troubleshooting steps that might help you fix the HP scanner not working in Windows 11.